SPANISH CIVIL WAR FREE WALKING TOUR
Join a walking tour to relive the days and visit the places of the famous conflict in Barcelona, the Spanish Civil War. Recommended by The Culture Trip as one of the 6 best free tours in Barcelona.
The Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) was one the most violent and dramatic conflicts in the history of Barcelona. In the Civil War in Barcelona Tour we will take you back in time to live again those terrible days as the city turned into a chaotic and bloody battleground.
From the first fights when the fascist troops attacked Barcelona and the anarchists, socialist and communist militias prepared to face them to the final conquest by General and future dictator of Spain Francisco Franco, discover the hidden marks on the city walls and monuments in the most unexpected places. Signs of bullets, bombs and propaganda writings, the secret scars that are still visible in the streets and squares.
You will see how common people lived everyday life during the war and protected themselves from the frequent bombings that hit the city and hear the long-overlooked, real-life stories and experiences of famous people that were in Barcelona during that time, like George Orwell and Ernest Hemingway.
The Civil War in Barcelona Free Walking Tour is organised in partnership with Barcelona Other Eyes Routes.
TIME: Every Tuesday at 4 pm.
DURATION: Tour takes around 2 hours.
Center of Plaza Universitat
Look for our BAT logo on the blue umbrella
Use Google Maps to find the right spot!
THE PERFECT TOUR IF YOU LOVE:
History, War Time Stories, Secret Signs of Bombs and Bullets.
PLACES WE VISIT
- Plaça Universitat
- Plaça de Catalunya
- Les Rambles
- Carrer de Portaferrissa
- Pla de la Seu
- Carrer del Bisbe
- Plaça de Sant Jaume
- Carrer de l’Argenteria
- Passeig del Born
- Mercat del Born
At the end of the Spanish Civil War Walking Tour you’ll find yourself a short walk from:
- Born neighbourhood, a charming area to explore (1 mins)
- Santa Maria del Mar, one of the best gothic churches to see (5 mins)
- Barceloneta Beach to see sunset and have some tapas (10 mins)
- Paradiso, a fancy cocktail bar (5 mins)
- Parc de la Ciutadella, the biggest park in the city (10 mins)
BE LOCAL – IMPORTANT INFO & TIPS
- BOOKING POLICY. Booking is necessary, due to our Small Group Philosophy the limit of participants. We don’t accept more than 9 people to guarantee safety, quality and sustainability for the local community. Only booking online guarantees a place in the tour. It is possible to book up to 4 hours before the beginning of the tour. If you can’t book and you need support or info get in touch with us.
- PRICES AND PAYMENT METHODS. Pay is available online for guaranteed spots and in cash at the beginning of the tour. Cash payments will be higher than online payments and will be available only if there are available spots, according to availability.
- COVID-19 MEASURES In order to guarantee the safety of the customers and the guides during the Covid19 epidemic, safety measures will be adopted following the spanish law: social distancing between people that don’t live together, obligatory masks, no contact with the guide or other participants, no distribution of documents or flyers. Be Local Tours reserves the right to refuse any individual or group that will not comply with these rules.
- CANCELLATION POLICY AND REIMBURSEMENT. Full price of the paid tour will be reimbursed in case the customer cancels at least 24 hours before the scheduled time of the tour. After this time, no reimbursement will be guaranteed.
- SCHEDULED TIME AND INCONVENIENTS. We suggest to arrive at least 10 minutes before the beginning of the tour to be able to meet the guide and check in. In case of delay it is possible to get in touch with us to see if you can join but we can’t guarantee your spot and no reimbursement will be given. If the number of participants doesn’t reach a minimum of 3 people, Be Local Tours can decide to cancel the tour. In this case we will let you know before the start and we will give you back the full amount of your ticket.
- IMPORTANT. This tour can be booked by a maximum of 7 people. If you are a group of 8 or more people, please contact us for a personalised private tour.
- This tour is available in other languages as well as a private tour, get in touch with us to check availability for a private tour in your language.